Materials you’ll need
- 1 Box Gelatin (Blue color)
- 1 Large Measuring Cup
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1/2 Cup Cereal in Shape of Pebbles or Sediment
- Gummy Candy in Shapes of Ocean Creatures
- Optional: Globe or Map to Locate Coral Reefs Around the World
- Gently add cereal to the bottom of the clear bowl to make an “ocean floor.”
- Mix gelatin according to directions on the package and pour into the bowl. The cereal will float to the top and that’s okay!
- Scatter gummy candies around to mimic oceanic movements.
- Allow gelatin to set in the refrigerator for several hours.
- When firm, add dry cereal to one edge of your new ocean and a few creatures on top.
- Reveal the bright colours and textures to show a healthy ocean ecosystem!
Suggested discussion topics
- What climate change means.
- How hot temperatures can make things in the ocean hot that should remain cool.
- What types of marine life live in the ocean and may need our help.
- Where coral reefs are found (in over 100 countries in the world).
- How being good stewards of the earth every day can help fight climate change.