Materials you’ll need
- Blue Construction Paper
- Molding Clay, Play-Doh or Homemade Modeling Dough (recipe follows)
- Ocean-themed Decorations or Small Toys
Homemade Modeling Dough:
- I Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Salt
- ¾ Cup Water
- Food Colouring
Mix well until dough reaches a desired consistency, adding additional flour if dough is too sticky. Once ready, divide into separate pieces and add food colour to each.
- Lay construction paper down to make an “ocean floor.”
- Mold clay or dough into different sea creatures. Video tutorials are available for Starfish, Sharks, Crabs, Octopus and Seahorses, but use your imagination to create even more!
- Position your new sea creatures on your ocean floor and then add decorations to complete your scene.
Suggested discussion topics
- What types of marine life live in the ocean and how they all have to share the water.
- Why it’s important to keep oceans clean for marine life and for us humans.
- What types of pollution can be found in the ocean and what we can do to keep it out.