Materials you’ll need
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Round Toothpicks
- Construction Paper in a Bright Colour
- Place construction paper down on a flat surface to make the base of your new school.
- Lay out four toothpicks in a square shape vertically and connect them with marshmallows.
- Stick four more toothpicks, vertically in each of the marshmallows.
- Place another four marshmallows on the top of those toothpicks and repeat the vertical square.
- Finish by making two triangles at each end of the top and joining them in the middle with one toothpick attached between the marshmallows on each end. Voila! Your new school is ready for class.
Suggested discussion topics
- What the child’s school is like (or if they don’t yet attend school, what they imagine their classrooms to look like).
- What types of supplies are in schools (pencils, paper, books, whiteboards)
- Why it’s important to have a safe place to learn.
- How some kids in underprivileged countries don’t have schools or even rooms to learn their lessons in and why it’s important to help them (donate supplies, reading material, etc.)