Materials you’ll need
1 All-inclusive Planting Kit (available at many garden and craft stores) or
- I Package of Seeds
- One Planting Pot
- Soil or Planting Pellets
- Add soil or planting pellets to planting pot and moisten according to guidelines on seed packet.
- Add seeds and press into soil.
- Place in the recommended setting (sunny window, etc.) and follow instructions about how often to water and care for it; if necessary, transfer to a raised bed or outdoor planter.
- Watch your new herb or vegetable grow.
- When ready, incorporate into a healthy recipe.
Suggested discussion topics
- What a “green space” is within a city.
- What types of benefits green spaces provide to people who live, work and play near them.
- What types of things can grow at home, both inside and outside.
- Why it’s important not to put harmful chemicals in gardens to protect insects and birds that may visit.
- What types of healthy recipes you can think of that could use your new herb or vegetable.