Materials you’ll need
- Heavy White Cardstock
- Foam Paint Brush
- Plastic Measuring Cup
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Liquid Dishwashing Soap
- Wooden Bamboo Skewers or Chopsticks
- Colour cardstock with crayons with a variety of bright hues that will make your future desert bloom. Make sure heavy pressure is applied when colouring so the paper gets thick with wax. Also be sure to leave room at the top for lighter colours to represent the sky.
- In the measuring cup, mix equal parts paint and dishwashing soap.
- Use the paintbrush to cover the cardstock with paint, completely coating it so that no colour is left showing.
- Allow paint to dry for at least 2 hours (no shine should be visible when completely dry).
- Using skewers or chopsticks, scratch desert garden designs, such as cactus and flowers onto the page. With the contrast of the black paint, bright, vibrant colours will emerge.
- Gently blow off any excess scratchings to complete this new masterpiece.
Suggested discussion topics
- What types of things require irrigation, i.e. what is watered inside and outside the home (plants, herbs, flowers, trees, lawns).
- What happens when any of these natural items don’t get the water they need (i.e. grass turns brown).
- What types of things grow in dry desert landscapes (cactus, Joshua trees, wildflowers).
- What types of things grow where you live that’s different from the desert (unless you live in the desert, then reverse the exercise).