Materials you’ll need
- A Bathtub Filled with Water
- Common Plastic Rubbish, such as Water Bottles, Grocery Bags, Bottlecaps, etc.
- Fill the bathtub with water and strategically float the plastic pollution in various sections of it.
- Have the child collect the plastic to be either recycled or put in the rubbish bin.
Suggested discussion topics
- What types of marine life swim in the ocean.
- How the ocean acts as the home for these creatures the way our house/apartment is our home.
- How fish can get hurt from accidentally eating plastic they think is food or swallowing it by mistake.
- How throwing items into the rubbish bin that could be recycled adds to the amount of pollution in the ocean.
- How we can help by taking fabric grocery bags to the store when we shop and not using single-use plastic items known to cause harm if we can avoid it.
- What the difference is between single-use plastic items and more sustainable plastic objects that may have a place in the home.